Sunday, March 31, 2013

The Best Worst Day

I have heard it every March 31st since Owen was born.

Al;  "It was the best day of my life and the worst day of my life, rolled into one."

And every March 31st, I have disagreed.

I refuse to burden the day that Owen entered the world with the title, even in part, the worst.

No. It was not what I had expected. Nor was it easy.

I do admit, that once a year, I allow myself  to go back to that day, back to all the moments that made up that terrifical day.  I think I remember them all.

And with ten years distance from that morning, I am able to look at the events with a fair amount of emotional detachment, as if they happened to some other poor girl, long ago, in a land far far away.

When I do try, when I sift through all the difficult moments of that difficult day for a possible worst? A surprising one rises to the surface;

Al and I have left Owen in the hands of the med flight crew, the nurse having told me his slim chances of making it to Boston.

We are in the parking garage, walking up the ramp toward our car.

I see our backs. Heads hung low. Shoulders weighted. We're not speaking.

I'd given birth less than twelve hours before. I knew I should, but was unable to feel physical pain.

And emotional pain? Also somehow absent.

Empty I was. Body. Arms. Mind.

We got into our car and I turned to look at Owen's would be car seat.

Empty.

Yeah.

But that moment? That may have been the worst? Was only a wee speck of time.

Because only a few hours after that moment came the best thing I'd ever heard in my life; a surgeon's voice on the telephone telling me that Owen was alive.

Followed in a few hours by another best moment; seeing Owen alive.

And then there were many best days;

All the days that he was supposed to die and didn't.

The day he came off ECMO for good. The day I got to hold him.  The day he was allowed to breathe on his own. The day he left the ICU. The day he came home.

All bests.

And the bests kept on coming.

His first smile. First words. First signs. First hearing aids. First steps.

Best days ever.

I may have waited longer than most for his firsts. That only made them better.

Five years for his first real bites of food. Six years for his first day without needing a tube feed. Seven years for his first day with no feeding tube at all.

Few of the days have been easy, but that does not make them bad.

And not one of them has been the worst.

Now that I think about it? 

I've not yet had a worst day.

And all my bests? Are probably better than yours.

March 31, 2003.
Best. Day.





16 comments:

  1. I can't believe he's 10!!!
    Happy birthday, Owen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly one of the best days ever!!

    Happy Birthday, Owen!!

    ~shoes~

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw that you had posted, this Easter Sunday, I thought of resurrection. Yay! She's posted. And here you are, writing again of your Owen's resurrection. Over and over. Happy Birthday to your Owen. And happy birth day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wait, we're posting again?

    xoxoxo

    wish I were down there to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Owen
    What a wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  6. (warning, i am sappy tonight)

    I can't believe he's ten already. Through your story telling I've really come to love that kid. And you too. I can't imagine how hard it was to get through those moments even when they turned out to be for the best.

    Cheers to you mom of a great kid

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my favorite scenes in Gone with the Wine is when Melanie says, "The happiest days are when babies come." While your overall experience may not be described as happy that day, the outcome sure was. Happy Birthday to Owen (and nice to see the post in my inbox!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheers to ten years of knowing the true meaning of BEST.
    Your words, your boy, your love.

    Miraculous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, happy happy birthday.

    And I love your attitude. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ten.

    What sweet, wonderful, blessed joy.

    Happy birthday to your boy, Tulp. I miss you. xo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ten. Amazing. Did you think on that first day you'd be staring back from ten? My firsts were easy compared to yours and I still can't believe that one day we'll be there. Maybe it takes a Mom to see the best day in what Al sees as the worst. Who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Does your website have a contact page? I'm having a tough time locating it but, I'd like to
    shoot you an e-mail. I've got some recommendations for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great website and I look forward to seeing it develop over time.

    My page :: premature ejaculation exercises forum

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello there! I could have sworn I've been to this blog before but after browsing through some of the post I realized it's new to me.
    Anyways, I'm definitely glad I found it and I'll be book-marking and
    checking back often!

    Feel free to visit my web-site - Bmi Results chart

    ReplyDelete

Use Your Words.